Saturday, 1 July 2017

The Landlord: New Release, New Strategies

The Landlord by [Ross, Hannah]

With the release of my latest novel, The Landlord, I made two changes in my usual publishing strategy.

One was choosing wide distribution through Smashwords, rather than opt for KDP Select. My goal was, first, to experiment and see whether the benefits of multiple online retailers outweigh the perks of KDP exclusivity, namely optional promos and Kindle Unlimited; and second, encourage healthy competition in the book distribution currently monopolized by Amazon.

The second change in strategy related to pricing: until now, I have always initially priced my Kindle books at 2.99-4.99$, and ran a discounted promo later. This time I chose 0.99$ as my starting point, with the view of increasing it later to 2.99$. This goal is to encourage an early sales boost.

Will these different tactics prove worthwhile? It's too early to tell, perhaps, but I will keep you posted.

PS: if you are looking for a light summer read, and are into ghost novels and Regency era England, you might want to give The Landlord a chance. It is a relatively short, fast-paced novel with the story arc swerving between present day and rural England of two hundred years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment