Saturday, 29 July 2017

Ditching KDP Select: First Month

Image result for kdp select

I thought I should write a follow-up post about my opting out of KDP Select with my latest book, The Landlord. Now that almost a month has elapsed since book launch, how are the results?

Well, not very dramatic, to tell the truth.

To be precise, I have only sold a few copies so far - and all of them through Amazon. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why, either - if I have a Facebook ad, a promotional post, or any link space anywhere, I have to make a choice of what link to my book page I put in, and practically, I will almost always opt for the Amazon link, because I know most people shop there. So at first glance, it doesn't look like I gained anything by going for wide distribution.

On the other hand, it's not like I lost anything significant, either. My KU reads aren't very great for the books enrolled in KDP Select. If I want to run the book at a reduced price for a while, I can do it manually, without Kindle Countdown. The only thing I appear to lose is the promotional free days, but I find this more useful for series (make first book free and hook readers that way) than stand-alones.

So I guess my conclusion, so far, is pretty bland; as an author who, let's face it, doesn't sell tons of books, I might as well make things easier for myself by choosing KDP Select and not bothering with other distributors. On the other hand, I'm not discounting the potential benefits of wide distribution just yet. I have made The Landlord available on Payhip, at a lower price than on Amazon, as my small way to support this very convenient and author-friendly platform.

KDP Select or not, getting your name out there is a slow uphill journey, and there are no miracles - just lots of hard work and, hopefully, some satisfaction... eventually.

1 comment: