Monday, 1 May 2017

KDP Select: yay or nay?


Up until now, I have enrolled all my books in KDP Select, but I have begun to question this decision regarding my newest upcoming release, The Landlord - a
 novel that swerves between contemporary England and the Regency era. After initially deciding this will be a self-published project and shooting for sometime in the summer for release date, I now have to determine whether to go Amazon exclusive.

The question appears to be simple: do the benefits of the KDP Select program outweigh possible sales at other retailers? What does KDP Select actually offer authors?

With Amazon exclusivity you get nifty promo options: free days and Kindle Countdown deals. You also are part of the Kindle Unlimited and KOLL, which means that people who have a KU subscription can check out your book risk free, and this gives you a chance to bait many potential readers who otherwise wouldn't buy your book.

Having said that, I do have to say that KU doesn't make much difference to my direct income from books, though I assume it raises reader awareness.

On the other hand, I don't know how good it is for authors in the long term to put all their eggs in one basket and reinforce Amazon's monopoly. Amazon is already pretty snotty with authors; I had several reviews removed from one of my books with no actual explanation. Amazon can afford to lose out on my sales if I have no reviews. I'm only a tiny little grain of sand in the ocean of indie authors, after all.

So, I haven’t quite decided yet, but I'm inclined to try out doing something different from KDP Select, at least this once. What about you? Do you give exclusive rights to Amazon, or do you spread out a bit more?

No comments:

Post a Comment