Saturday, 22 April 2017

My journey: from SAHM to writer/entrepreneur

Image result for mom and writer

When I got married, I wasn't a creative entrepreneur with a burning vision of making money doing what I love best - writing - but merely someone who wanted a rural home to raise her children, homeschool, garden and keep chickens. 

Nearly a decade later, I do all these things, and combined they are more than a full time job. I love my life. I don't wish my children away; I don't want to live in a neat little low-maintenance cubicle of an apartment. However, one has to face the truth: most of my time is taken up by childcare, lessons, housework and homestead chores, and any writing/learning/marketing is done in short, sporadic bursts. My novels are born of stolen moments I often literally have to fight tooth and nail for. I don't have a private work space, my own computer, or set hours. 

But my mindset is wholly different. I have a goal now: to be a better writer, and to earn money doing it. I live, breathe and work towards this goal every single day, even if practically I spend most of it wiping runny noses or trying to get children to do their maths. I snatch up every available moment to do something to advance my goal. Novels are written one word at a time. A day in which I wrote two paragraphs is better than a day of no writing at all. 

I have always been writing - poetry, prose, jokes, essays - but my upgrade to a more professional level came from a combination of two factors: one, my maturing as a writer and taking on more ambitious work, and two, financial distress brought on by my husband's unstable job situation. We needed extra income. I knew I couldn't get a job outside the home (we live very much out of the way, have only one car, and homeschool). Writing is - I flatter myself - what I do best. I decided to give it a go as a business venture. 

This couldn't have happened without sacrifices, of course. I stopped watching movies on YouTube and commenting on photos of people's pets on Facebook. I made many of my friends wonder whether I'm still alive. I got up early and went to bed late. Every moment of my computer time was dedicated to writing, networking, or business research. 

I'm still too early on in this journey to write a Here Is What I Learned post, but I can definitely say this: writing is not a get rich quick plan. In the short term, I could probably make more money babysitting other people's children. But writing and publishing is more than a dream, it's a goal with an outlook towards the future. My succeeding as a writer would greatly enhance our family's financial stability. Each published novel is an ambassador circulating out there and working to earn us money even when it's a period in which I'm not actively writing.

Here is a caveat: writing is still dismissed by my family as a hobby and, I suppose, will be until some actual serious money starts coming in. If my kids ask me to do something for them and I say, "I'm busy writing," they just give me a blank look. I might as well have said "I'm playing a computer game" for all the understanding I get. My husband doesn't get why on earth, if I did drag myself out of bed at 6 A.M. (after five hours of sleep), I don't take advantage of this quiet morning spell to mop the floors or start lunch, or do some other such productive thing. Spending a cumulative sum of hundreds of dollars on stupid junk on eBay is fine. Spending a fraction of that on a book cover is unthinkable.

Bottom line: I can't and don't expect my family to be my cheerleading team and create opportunities for me. I am my own cheerleader. I create my own opportunities. I cling to this wall with my own bleeding fingernails as I drag myself up (often stumbling and slipping, but still finding myself, at the end of a period, at a higher place than before).

I will keep updating as I travel down this road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment