Saturday, 15 April 2017

For authors: the key to handling rejection

Image result for desperate writer

Getting rejected is one of the most frustrating parts of being an author. Furthermore, it's absolutely inevitable - I'm yet to meet an author aiming at the traditional publishing route who didn't get fifty rejects for each acceptance.

I'm right now on my third project making the rounds of queries among literary agents and publishers. I self-published Quest of the Messenger after a bagful of rejections, some of them actually expressing enthusiasm about the book but claiming it just isn't commercially viable. I signed with Mason Marshall Press for my upcoming novel, Wild Children (and its sequels). I'm now looking for either an agent or a publisher for my Middle Grade novel, A Bride for the Beast, being reluctant to self publish as I know that Middle Grade books generally do less well as self published projects.

In short, I'm facing rejects. Many rejects, with prospects for many more, as I also plan to query my current WIP, a historical fiction novel focusing on the character of Eldad ha-Dani. So how do I put up with it all?

One, I compartmentalize. I deal with queries on the first of each month, and after sending out a bunch of eight or ten, I forget about it for the rest of the month. I take notes of rejections as they come, and try not to think of them anymore.

Second, I leave some projects for myself to self-publish, such as my planned release, The Landlord. This way I have something to focus on which is under my control, something I can do without waiting for anyone's permission. It is incredibly empowering.

What about you? What are your best tips and strategies for handling rejection?

No comments:

Post a Comment