Tuesday, 29 November 2016

Social media: love it or hate it?

Social media and writers' platforms (in particular Wattpad and Inkitt) have been extremely helpful for me in connecting with people, interacting with and learning from other writers, and discovering many things I would otherwise have no clue about. So three cheers for Facebook and Goodreads!



On the other hand, social media can be a real time-guzzler - you hop from one page to another and from one post to the next, and before you know it, an hour is gone. This may be alright for full-time writers who have no problem dedicating a slice of their day to social media, but I'm not a full-time writer, I'm a full-time mother. Sometimes an uninterrupted hour is all the time I have on the computer in a day (and that's a good day), and if it all gets spent on social media, this means I have no time left to actually write.

So my current strategy is this: I log into Facebook once a day, do a basic catch-up (friend requests, posts by people I'm following, page and group invites) and log out. Until next day. Same goes for Goodreads and Wattpad and even my email. I can't be tuned in to social media and networks all day long if I want to be productive.

And then what? I sit down and write. There's always more inspiration and ideas than time, but I guess this means the big writer's block monster is kept well away!

No comments:

Post a Comment