Wednesday, 12 August 2015

Choosing between different types of social media

I truly marvel at the energetic writers who really know how to put themselves out there - they have a Facebook account and a Twitter account, a YouTube channel where they update v-logs and trailers, a blog and a website, and they are actively networking with all these resources. They also hang out a lot on writers' forums and on Wattpad, check out other writers' works and review them, and participate in contests. 

I admit that I only do a fraction of all that, and if I tried to do more I would probably end up with no time to do any actual writing. So far, I haven't been able to get a lot of exposure - but from what I've been able to judge, a relatively high percentage of those who started reading Paths of the Shadow like the book, which is encouraging.

What do you do if you have only a little time to invest in social media, and you're trying to make the most of it?

My answer is simple: choose what you like and what doesn't feel like a chore to keep up with. For me, right now, it's primarily:

- this blog
- Wattpad's forums
- Inkitt

I do have to say I really love Inkitt. The discussions there are really insightful and intelligent - I feel I'm growing personally and professionally just by setting aside a few minutes each day to catch up with what's going on in the groups. Wattpad, on the other hand, has a lot of ridiculous threads that look as though they had been started by bored teenagers ("i wanna write a story but dunno what to write, PLS HELP!).

***

On another note: I'm happy to tell that my latest novel, Wild Children, is really coming together and the first draft will probably be completed next week with a little under 100K words. I'm also progressing with editing book 2 in the Quest of the Messenger series, Warriors of the Realm.

No comments:

Post a Comment